We have several 3D Printers that are accessible to students and researchers.
We can print in several materials; PLA, ABS, Woodfill, Polycarbonate, TPU, PVA etc.
The following printers are available:
- CraftUnique Craftbot + (for PLA and ABS)
- CraftUnique Craftbot + (for Woodfil and Flex/TPU)
- Ultimaker 2 (for PLA)
- Witbox BQ (triple extruder for PLA (experimental))
- Formlabs Form2 (SLA for Photopolymer)
You can prepare your model using one of the following free-to-download slicers:
- Cura (Ulimaker) Download Cura
- Craftware (Craftbot) Download Craftware
- Repetier (All, but is more advanced) Download Repetier
For modelling, we recommend Autodesk Fusion 360 for making printable parts.
A student license is free, download Fusion 360
To find out more about 3D printing, come up to the lab in our opening hours.
Some useful links for 3D printing techniques:
Key design considerations for 3D printing
Finishing PLA prints
Optimizing Design for Functional 3D Printed Assemblies (pdf download)
Troubleshoooting your prints
Acetone bathing for ABS prints (Advanced, Do not attempt to do this without contacting us first)